A separation agreement is a contract between the separating or separating parties. These usually deal with issues such as: When people are married or in an “interdependent adult relationship,” they end their relationship and begin to live apart, they are separated. There is no “legal separation” in Canada, but one year`s separation is one of the reasons for the divorce. If, despite the efforts made to settle things together, you do not reach an agreement on your family affairs, a judge will decide the issues for you. If you and your spouse have children and are planning to divorce, you may need to take the Parenting After Separation (PAS) online course. You can also choose to voluntarily take the course and learn some useful strategies to help you separate. The link to the course can be found here: www.alberta.ca/pas.aspx parenthood, decision on marital support, sharing of debts, accounts and assets – all of these can be frustrating points of disagreement between parties going through a divorce. Instead of a judge deciding these issues for you, you and your former partner can decide for yourself, through a separation agreement, what are the best results. The PAS 6-hour course is offered free of charge by the Alberta government across the province. You will receive valuable information about the legal process and the impact of separation and divorce on children. Call your local courthouse to register for the course. You can also participate in family mediation services for free.

Call the Alberta government free of charge at 310-0000 and ask for the number of foster care services closest to you for more information. There is no formal judicial procedure, no special document or confirmation necessary to make the separation official, although there may be such documents. You are considered separated if one of you intends to live separately and separately from the other. You and your former spouse or partner may write an agreement themselves, but it is recommended that you speak to a lawyer. The applicant must have attended the seminar before applying for assistance for your children under the age of 16 in the Court of Justice. The court officer requires proof of presence before your divorce application can be made at trial. Evidence of the participation of the party who sets out the appeal to the trial must be filed in court. If you do not contest the divorce or if your children are over 16, you and your spouse do not need to participate in parenting after the separation seminar. However, you must certify in writing that you and your spouse have reached an agreement that answers all your questions. At Long Family Law Group LLP, our family lawyers help you negotiate and develop an effective and reasonable separation agreement based on your contributions that you understand.

Based in Edmonton, Alberta, our legal team will ensure that your agreement: you and your spouse can agree with all cases and include the terms of the agreement in the contract, it becomes a separation agreement that can be enforced by the courts. You should contact a lawyer to make sure the agreement is valid and properly executed. If your agreement deals with matters within the jurisdiction of the Provincial Court Family Service, you can apply for a consent appointment to define the terms of your agreement. When people are separated for 1 year in an adult inter-dependency relationship, their relationship is officially considered terminated.